Thursday, August 20, 2015

Memories with Maja Design

Hello Maja fans!
I'm back in today to share a project I made with the limited edition Nyhavn collection. This time, it's using one of the many IKEA frames I have around the house and turning it into a display piece in my living room.
Here is the project:
IMG_0139
Although I've not been to Nyhavn before, looking at the papers remind me of the seaside places we visited in Perth. One of these was the Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse located right at the southern tip of Western Australia and it's where the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean meets. We didn't see a lot of boats on our way in, but the place is just as rich in history and we spent some time looking out for migrating whales.

IMG_0140

The frame was originally black but I coated it with white gesso and that gave a beautiful rustic finish which added to the seaside feel. To create my layers, I used strips of papers from the Nyhavn collection and selected them to match the colors in my photo. I left these layers untouched by mediums as I wanted the designs and colors to show.
IMG_0141
A little detail which unfortunately I didn't capture very well in this photo. The grey world map is a bonus sheet found in the collection pack and I deliberately cut out a piece with the map of Australia and tucked it behind the coral chipboard from Blue Fern Studios. The different chipboards I used were colored to match the other paper layers.

For the corals, they were covered with a layer of stucco paste and then colored with 13@rts Matte paint in Apricot. For the border chipboard, I blended a few shades of blue and turquoise gelato. To create a sandy effect, I sprinkled sand grit and mixed in some glass beads.
IMG_0142
Some background work I did - creating resist with embossing powder and painting with Ayeeda mists over. I left some of the more intricate details on the Maja Design background paper untouched.
IMG_0143
Parts of my floral clusters. I tucked in a few shells which we had collected from another beach in Perth. One thing I realised is that we use so many products to embellish our projects that we forget the most basic and meaningful of embellishments are those that we collect on our trips and from our life events. Just as scrapbooking is about collecting memories, keeping these memorabilia is also a huge part of remembrance.
That's all I have for today. Thanks for dropping by!




3 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! So many layers! Love the textures! A wonderful family memory too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it - especially using the map paper and that 'sun'....& the light house. It's a lovely photo with your memorabilia as well, Win Win, I think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - Love the papers you selected and wonderful use of the chipboard pieces too. Fantastic photo of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

thank you for dropping a note, it means so much to me!